Saturday, February 26, 2011

Justine's - 4710 E 5th St, Austin, TX 78702

It got really crowded in there really quickly, but that doesn't necessarily mean the food is fabulous.  Justine's is a fancy-shmancy restaurant in a miniscule space, so it doesn't take much to break a sweat or a fire code in there.  I say "fancy-schmancy" because they're offering this high-class food while playing hardcore grit blues music.  The two just don't match.  

I'm cheap, so I ordered a $6 glass of some Chardonnay that was pretty good.  I also got the escargot appetizer as an entree.  I would have gotten an actual entree had I not planned on getting dessert.  

The escargot wasn't too bad, but I've had better.  I've only ever had escargot one other time, and that was at the Gumbo's in Round Rock.  I ate all of my escargot, and even dipped the complimentary bread in the leftover garlic butter sauce.  The bread was quite good, and it came with the standard olive oil and herb concoction you might expect.  I also tried some of my friend's green beans.  Not bad at all.  And for dessert, I opted for the crème brûlée.  Ehhhh... not bad, but even Alamo Drafthouse makes it better.  It was edible.  Period.

Service was great.  Our waitress knew the answer to every single question we asked her, and she didn't break out in a cold sweat even once!  She was right there when we needed her, and she had a great attitude.  I regret that I forget her name.  Oh well, I'll live.

Justine's is a place you should go if you have several hours and dollars to spend, and you happen to be on the east side.

Verdict:  Maybe eat

No comments:

Post a Comment