Thursday, February 24, 2011

Drakula - 8120 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78758

Service:  The service was slow, though I don't think I can REALLY blame the wait staff since I was part of a 38-member group.  Still, with TWO wait people, only one other table in use, and me with waitressing experience, I didn't think I should have had to ask for an iced tea refill.  Wait staff was nice, and the owner came out to say hello and to thank us for coming.

Ambiance:  The restaurant is extremely small, so I wonder -- even if the restaurant fills up at any point -- how they stay in business.  They have some nice knick-knacks on the walls, and I enjoyed reading Drakula's (the person) history and Romania's history via the back of the menu.

Food:  I did not order an entree because I'd had a late lunch.  I got a bowl of the meatball soup, which was very good.  The meatballs were very easy to cut up and they went well with the tomato broth.  The only thing I did not like about the soup was that they put shredded carrots in it.  That was just odd and not good with meatballs.  It was like pairing Roseanne Barr with Leonardo DiCaprio.  I was afraid the soup might end up being too spicy for me, but it was not spicy at all, which was fine with me.  Things that are too spicy make me cough a lot, and then I have trouble getting my breath, so I try to stay away from stuff like that.  

I later had a slice of homemade "cake", but there was nothing cakey about it.  It was essentially Cool Whip with some diced fruit mixed in.  Seriously, it tasted just like whipped cream.  Whipped cream is good and all, but only as a topping.  The picture of the "cake" in the menu was quite meringuey looking, but I decided it was just a bad picture.  Obviously I should have trusted my first instinct.  

Since we brought such a large group to the restaurant, we were given a couple plates of desserts to share, which consisted of pieces of cheese/apple danish (I did not try any of that), some itty bitty crescent rolls with what I think were mashed up dates inside (not very good), and some bread twisted into pretzel shapes which was neither very good nor pretty to look at.  In fact, no one in my part of the group liked the free desserts.  Nor did they really like the "cake" I let them try.  

Also, Drakula has a very poor selection of beer and wine.  And do not go there thinking you can get a martini... they lack a full bar.

Previous history:  I wanted to try Drakula a couple of years ago with my boyfriend-at-the-time.  We looked up the place, saw they were open until 10pm, went over there at nearly 9pm one Saturday night, and they were closed.  We emailed to ask them to verify their hours.  Explained that we went one night when they were supposedly open until 10pm but they were closed instead.  Mentioned in the email that we were very put off by this.  Despite the fact that we were very diplomatic in the email, we never got a response from them, so we decided to never again go there.  

Conclusion:  Two years later I finally went, and I see it wasn't completely worth the trouble.

Verdict:  Maybe eat 

No comments:

Post a Comment