Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Sandwich Joint - 5035 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78756

They've got a lot of great sammich combinations, better than most other sandwich places I've tried out lately.  The problem with the sandwiches is that the The Sandwich Joint puts more emphasis on the names they've given the sammiches than on the quality of the sammiches.  Don't get me wrong, The Sandwich Joint has pretty good tasting sandwiches, and I do love word play, but I always had trouble remembering what the hell I wanted to order when I got up there because it had some weird name like "Knuckle Sandwich" instead of just "Roast Beef, Turkey & Swiss".  I actually almost always got the "Backwards TLB", as they call it, which is just a pointlessly kitschy name.  Seriously, it sounds like they think people are going to order a specific sammich because of the name alone.  Though I have to admit that if I owned a deli, I would probably give the sandwiches similarly stupid sounding names.  "Backwards TLB" and most of the hot sandwich names are really the only ones that bother me, actually.  (The ONLY ones... I know, right?)

Other reviewers have mentioned the space issue being a problem, and I have to agree.  I've never stayed there to eat because it's too cramped, and I feel this way even when it's empty in there.

Also, it would be very easy to steal a drink from this place.  I'm not advocating that you do it; I just noticed how easy it would be as I was waiting for my sammich one day.  Simply do not order a drink, and grab one from the cooler as you're waiting for your sandwich to be prepared.  You can hold it in your hand below the level of the counter so they can't see it.  Actually, the person who makes your sandwich is almost never the same person who rings you up, so if the person who gives you your sammich sees that you have a drink, they would have no way of knowing you didn't pay for it.  There are lots of blind spots in that place for the employees, and since they store drinks all over the damn place it just occurs to me that they probably lose a few here and there.

The Sandwich Joint has pretty good tasting sammiches and fairly friendly and with-it employees.  They also have GREAT TASTING "puppy chow".

One last thing:  Once when I ordered a roast beef sammich they forgot the cheese.  I didn't realize it until I'd walked back to the office.  Once I tasted the lack of cheese, I decided to lodge a complaint on their website.  Clicked the Contact Us link, filled out the form... but there was no Submit button anywhere.  I'm sure this is an accident, but I'm just letting you know that if you need to complain to The Sandwich Joint about anything, you'll have to call them. 

Verdict:  Not to eat (only because they're closed)

No comments:

Post a Comment