Friday, February 25, 2011

Threadgill's - 6416 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78752

My friend, David, and I went here on Thanksgiving 2009 for lunch.

I really didn't expect there to be a wait.  I figured most people ate at a friend or family member's house.  Obviously I was wrong.  We had a thirty-minute wait which took thirty-five minutes.  It would have taken longer if I hadn't gone inside to make sure our name was still on the list.  It was, but they had us down as a three-person party instead of two.  Sigh.  I didn't fuss or anything, but they went ahead and seated us right then anyway.  Props to them for that.  I was starving and my blood sugar was low, so I needed food.  No, I didn't tell them that.

We each got the turkey plate (turkey w/ gravy, cornbread dressing, choice of two sides).  For my sides, I got yams and mashed potatoes.  The yams were either undercooked or overcooked, but I couldn't tell which.  I prefer my yams to be soft.  Doesn't everyone?  But these weren't.  The mashed potatoes were very tasty.  I didn't much care for the gravy on the turkey.  I kept pining away for Heinz turkey gravy as I was eating.  The cornbread dressing was just okay.  I loves me some cornbread dressing, but I'm a bit snobbish about it.  See, nobody makes it better than my mother does, so if you don't make it like hers, then your cornbread dressing sucks harder than a Hoover Deluxe.  Threadgills' dressing had individual niblets of corn hidden inside, which I've always considered to be lazy.  Some people like corn niblets in their cornbread dressing; some don't.

I ended the meal with a slice of pumpkin pie.  It was standard tasting, nothing about which to write home.  Dare I say Mom makes it better?  The whipped cream they used was awful.  It didn't taste bad, it was just bland, almost like a soda that has lost its carbonation.  It didn't even taste as good as Reddiwhip, and that's saying something.

Props for having a white wine from Becker Vineyards. 

Verdict:  Maybe eat

No comments:

Post a Comment