Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spaghetti Warehouse - 117 W 4th St, Austin, TX 78701

I hadn't set foot in a Spaghetti Warehouse since Salt Lake City, 1990.  All I remember about that experience is that I liked the spumoni, and that the gender names on the bathroom doors were almost unrecognizably carved into wooden planks.  I thought the "Gents" sign said "Cents", and I began rooting through my pockets for spare change.  Hey, Utah's weird; they might have pay toilets.  Thankfully, I quickly found the women's restroom, but I digress.  I have no idea what entree I ordered, or if I liked it.

There is a reason for that:  The food is just average. 

I got my food to go, which I'd called in ahead, so it was ready to go when I got there.  I got out of there for under $8.  I think that's really saying something for downtown.  I had spent the last couple of weeks, since I started my new job, looking for decent cheap places to eat and had come up almost empty-handed.

Fettucine alfredo and wedding soup is what I got.  The soup was much better than I thought it would be.  I had never eaten wedding soup before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I didn't love it, but I liked it.  As for my entree, Macaroni Grill has better tasting fettucine, but it's also more expensive.  I did have trouble curling the fettucine around my fork, so I pretty much had to cut it up to eat it.  At first I thought the portion was skimpy, but I couldn't finish it so it was obviously more than enough.  And, of course, there was bread and soup to be had.

If I'm at home craving Italian food, I'll go to Macaroni Grill or Carrabba's or will cook my own. 

Verdict:  Not to eat

No comments:

Post a Comment