Thursday, February 24, 2011

Five Guys Burgers and Fries - 10000 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759

So I wrote a scathing review of the In-N-Out Burger in San Francisco.  The next night, I mentioned to my trivia team that I was planning on trying out Five Guys Burgers and Fries the next day. Interesting Twilight-Zonish dialogue took place for the next few moments:

Me:  "So I'm trying out Five Guys Burgers and Fries tomorrow."
Scott:   "Oh, Five Guys tastes just like In-N-Out Burger."
Me:  "Cute, Scott.  Cute."
Scott:  "Huh?"
Me:  "I had no idea that you even knew I wrote Yelp reviews."
Scott:  "What the hell are you talking about?"
Me:  "I assume you somehow read the bad review I gave In-N-Out yesterday and you therefore thought you'd scare me away from Five Guys by comparing it similarly to In-N-Out."
Scott:  "Uh, no.  I really think the taste of Five Guys and In-N-Out is very similar, and I have no idea what Yelp is."
Me:  "Great.  I already have a stomach ache in preparation for tomorrow's dinner."

Well, Scott was wrong.  Dead wrong.  Granted, Five Guys was not the be-all and end-all of burgers for me, but it was a great deal better than In-N-Out Burger, which is not hard to be, really.

I got just a cheeseburger, which turned out to be two meat patties.  I really only wanted one patty, but is that even an option?  Not sure it is.  But, hey, the burger price was still only $5.19.  The burger was good, but one patty would have sufficed.  As it was, I couldn't finish my burger.

I don't know what brand of American cheese Five Guys uses, but it was, hands down, THE best American cheese I've ever eaten.  I suppose it's possible that it was some other kind of cheese, but it tasted mostly like American -- only better -- and it looked like American.  Somebody correct me on the cheese type, if necessary.

Muchas gracias for having Coke Zero AND Cherry Coke on tap.  I'm not supposed to have regular soda, but I've been good lately so I treated myself to a little bit of Cherry Coke in my Coke Zero cup.

Fab classic rock music station, too:  Boston, Steve Winwood, Rush, .38 Special, The Who...  I like Steve Winwood post Spencer Davis Group, but I don't consider his solo '80s stuff to be classic rock, rather '80s soft rock.  The Five Guys know how to pick a good Sirius station.

I was giddy when I learned last week that Five Guys had a location in the Arboretum.  I was worried I would have to get out of the bus on The Drag to try out Five Guys and then catch a later bus home from work.  I would have gone next door to Amy's Ice Cream for dessert last night if I didn't think Amy's Ice Cream stinks.  Sorry, Amy, but your ice cream is mediocre.

Congrats to Five Guys for being much better than mediocre.

P.S.  People who compare this place negatively to Mighty Fine are loons.  The one time I ate at Mighty Fine, it stunk to high Heaven. 

Verdict:  To eat

No comments:

Post a Comment