Thursday, February 24, 2011

Katz's Kosher Deli - 618 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

I'll go ahead and tell you that the first two times I ate here, the food was fair to midland.  On my first visit I got the potato skins, which were okay.  There was waaaaay too much overcooked facon that I had to leave on the plate for the dish to be at all enjoyable.  The skins were cooked very well (meaning good, not well-done) and were terrifically crunchy.

On my second visit I got a grilled cheese sammich on sourdough bread.  It was good but overpriced.  The fries that came with it stunk so I left them alone, but I'm not much of a fries person.

Third visit had me trying  the Late Night Burger, which is a burger with cheddar cheese and a fried egg and "beef bacon".  The facon looked and tasted like a ham steak, really.  I discovered I don't like beef bacon.  I had one hell of a time getting that crap off my burger without removing all the cheese, but I finally managed to do it.

I ordered the burger cooked medium, yet it came out well-done.  And it didn't taste very good well-done.  Also, I wanted a cheese-stuffed potato instead of fries (you get a choice between those two; mine was not some weird substitution), yet my dish was served with their subpar fries.

I do not fault the waiter, Maurice, with any of this.  He waited on me during my first trip and he was excellent.  I actually trust that he entered the order correctly into the computer.  I don't trust the cooks who were in the kitchen today.  I think they were ready to go home and didn't give a crap about putting the order together as it was written.

Maurice offered to get me my cheese-stuffed potato, but I said no because I really didn't think I'd eat much of it.  Plus, as a diabetic, I figured I was getting all the carbs I needed from the hamburger bun.

After I was finished, Maurice tried to entice me to order dessert.  I was tempted, I really was.  But the diabetic in me said no.  I mentioned to him that the menu online listed the crepes w/ hot fudge sauce as both an appetizer and a dessert, and I was tempted to try it next time as a meal.  He tried to get me to order it as a dessert today and mentioned that I could just nix the sauce.  I thought about it and almost gave in, but I said no. 

Actually, I had gone there the third time with the intention of getting the Tavern on the Green Salad, but I forgot about it once I got in there and settled on the stupid Late Night Burger.  Wish I'd remembered the Tavern Salad.  

So my fourth visit had me trying the Tavern on the Green salad.  "Fresh turkey breast, turkey ham, salami, roast beef, Swiss cheese, tomato and hard-boiled egg on a bed of lettuce." 

Okay, what the frig is "turkey ham"?  I know they can't have actual ham because they're kosher, but why bother having something that unsuccessfully tries to taste like ham?   

Have you ever noticed that turkey is like the O- of meat?  It can be used for almost any other type of meat, just as O- blood can be given to a person of any blood type.  I've seen turkey burgers and turkey hot dogs, which are awful in my opinion, and now I've been the disappointed recipient of turkey ham.

I don't know why I was expecting the turkey breast to be actual turkey breast.  Silly me.  I should have expected cold cut turkey breast.  I had also hoped the swiss would be shredded, but it wasn't.  Bummer.  The roast beef was good, though.

I easily could've made this salad with simple cold cuts from H-E-B for less than the 9-something dollars Katz's charged me.

Marc Katz was at the bar when I was there.  I failed to collect the necessary guts to tell him how little I thought of the Tavern salad.  Boo for me.  So glad Katz's finally closed.

Verdict:  Not to eat (they're closed anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment