Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shoal Creek Saloon - 909 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78703

10/23/09:

All day today I was in the mood for a shrimp po'boy.  I ended up at Austin Java this afternoon to meet a friend, and upon searching Google Maps on my phone for cajun restaurants I found Shoal Creek Saloon, so I decided to walk there after I was finished at Java.

Shoal Creek Saloon screamed BAR when I first walked in, but less than five minutes after I ordered people with hordes of kids came in, so the place quickly became much more reminiscent of a Chuck E Cheese.  I'm sorry, but I'm just not a kid person, especially when the kids are loud, obnoxious and running all around my table like chickens with their heads cut off.  Shoal Creek has several 2-top tables that are attached to a shuffleboard table, and I sat at one of those near one of the ends of the shuffleboard table.  For the first five minutes of my stay it was a nice seat.  Of course, when all the kids came in (and these 20 kids were not with one set of adults; they were in separate groups at separate tables), they made a beeline for the shuffleboard table.  The fact that I was RIGHT THERE made me very nervous.  The kids kept bumping my chair and yelling in my ear something fierce.  I know this isn't the restaurant's fault, but it still did not leave me with a good impression.  Had there only been a couple of kids there, no problem.  I thought going to a bar meant I would be kid-free, but apparently not.

Also, I wanted mayo on my shrimp po'boy but didn't get it. I figured I could ask the waitress for some, but the wait staff did not dare come near my table once my food was delivered. Not until I took THE LAST BITE of my sandwich, that is. Seriously, I couldn't get to the register/bar to ask for mayo because all the rugrats were in the way, and no one came to my table until the very second I finished eating. Every other table looked like it was getting great service. I liked my po'boy very much and I want to give this place another chance, but I do not want to go when it will be overrun by demon spawn. Is this place always so full of kids??

Shoal Creek Saloon is lucky the shrimp po'boy was yummy despite the lack of mayo, otherwise they would be getting a bad verdict from me. 

Verdict: To eat

No comments:

Post a Comment