Thursday, February 24, 2011

Frank and Angie's Pizza - 508 West Ave, Austin, TX 78701

So I walked to Frank & Angie's one November 2009 day after work.  My boss had let me go at 1:30 for T'giving, and I was hungry.

The place isn't too big, so I didn't think I'd have trouble getting noticed at the cornermost table in the darkest corner.  But I did.  I later told my waitress, Aundrea, that I was doing a Yelp review, and she hoped I wouldn't mention that she didn't see me for the first few minutes I was there.  I didn't and don't hold any ill will.  Had I waited any longer than I did, I probably would have gotten peeved and gotten up to angrily ask the counter person if I was going to be waited on.  But that didn't have to happen.  Aundrea (I hope I have the spelling right) came over and was apologetic about my sitting there for a few minutes, so no problem.

I ordered an iced tea, and Aundrea recommended a good white wine (I can't remember what it was).  I was surprised that the wine came in a regular small glass instead of a wine glass.  The glass, in fact, was exactly the same as the set my parents have that I'd used eons ago growing up.  Suddenly, childhood memories flooded my brain with emotion and soon flooded my eyes with tears.  Thank you, Frank & Angie's!  Okay, no, that didn't happen.  But the glasses really were the same.

I got an offer I couldn't refuse on the Al Pacino ("white alfredo sauce, herbs and spices, mozzarella cheese on a thin crust").  Topped it with crumbled meatballs (Bill Murray).  The meatballs, unlike Bill Murray, were nearly forgettable.  They weren't as bad as the God awful "meatball" (read: breakfast sausage) atrocities I'd had at The Thistle Cafe, but they weren't as good as the meatball pizza topping at Reale's.  So I picked off the meatball and ate the rest of the pizza.  The pizza was pretty good.  Pretty good crust, good herbs and spices, great alfredo sauce.  Next time I set foot into F&A's, I'll get the Al Pacino as is, no Bill Murray.

I enjoyed the '60s music, but it makes me wonder if they change the music genre selection daily.  I know it's been, like, three years since the only other time I went to Frank & Angie's, but I swear they were playing Italian music at that time (Sinatra, the Godfather love theme, etc).

Aundrea gave me a taste of the Don Cannoli filling, and it was so great that I ordered the Don Cannoli.  I will now have to deduct a point because the waitress convinced a diabetic to order a dessert.  No, I'm kidding.  Is it ironic for a diabetic who has, ahem, dietary restrictions to be doing restaurant reviews?  I normally don't like cannoli at all.  The breading stuff on this cannoli was standard, so I concentrated as much as I could on just eating the filling.  The filling was wonderful.  Better than any other cannoli filling I've ever had.

I'm sure I will go back to F&A's to order the Al Pacino and cannoli again.  It wasn't the best pizza I've had in Austin (hello, Reale's!), but it certainly wasn't the worst (hello, Onion).  I do recommend putting garlic on the pizza.  That's what I got a few years ago, and I remember really liking it.

Thanks, Aundrea, for a great experience, and thanks for offering to give me my tea to go.  I hid it from the bus driver while I was getting on and enjoyed it all the way home! 

Verdict:  To eat

No comments:

Post a Comment