Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gabbi's Burgers ans Dogs - 12001 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78758

I used to work across Burnet/Duval Rd from Gabbi's at First American Flood, so I would occasionally walk to Gabbi's for lunch.

The first time I went I got a cheeseburger, which was pretty good.  I've had better, but I wasn't really expecting a whole lot from Gabbi's.  The second time I went I got some kind of sandwich to go and ate at my desk at work.  The sandwich was just okay, and frankly, it's something I could have easily made at home for less money.

The third time I went I wanted to get a hot dog.  They've got several different hot dog combos on their menu, each of which costs $6.95 (hot dog and fries).  I asked how much it would cost if I got just a plain hot dog and fries, and was told it would still cost $6.95.  To me, that's ridiculously expensive for a plain hot dog and some fries.  I could understand if I wanted the hot dog combo that involved chili, mustard, relish, onions, etc., but I wanted just a dog and a bun.  So I ordered a burger again.  Good, not great.  Their salads are pathetically bad and incredibly small.  They do have Diet Dr Pepper, though, which is good in my book.

I haven't been back to Gabbi's since First American laid me off in January, and I doubt I will ever go back.  The whole shopping center stinks.  Mangia Pizza is there.  I know a lot of people like Mangia, but I think their pizza tastes terrible.  And then there's Taco Deli.  Taco Deli used to come over to First American in the mornings and sell breakfast tacos, which were great when they first started doing it a few years ago.  I would get just a cheese/egg taco, which involved cheddar cheese.  Nowadays they use mozzarella, which is not nearly as good.  And the rest of their food is just bad.  There is also Sodade Coffee in that shopping center.  Also not worth the drive nor money.  There's a much better coffee shop within walking distance of my house.

So what I'm saying is, there is absolutely no reason to ever go to this shopping center.  I had originally hoped Gabbi's could give it something worthwhile, but I was sorely disappointed. 

Verdit: Not to eat (they're closed anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment