Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hut's Hamburgers - 807 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78703

It's hard for me to believe I had lived in Austin for eight years before trying Hut's for the first time in 2009.  Over the years I have heard varying reports on Hut's.  In fact, just before my first trip,  I stated on Facebook I'd be going there, and one friend said, "Prepare to have all other burgers ruined by the awesomeness of Hut's."  Another friend warned, "Hut's is not that great, IMHO."

I don't know the first friend all that well, and I tend to agree with the second friend fairly often about food, so I wasn't completely sure about eating at Hut's .  I thought I might make a last-minute dash to Frank and Angie's instead.  I've been there and know how great it is.

So I parked at Whole Foods -- I had planned to attend their rooftop presentation of Ghostbusters later that evening, so I didn't feel like I was abusing the parking space -- and walked to Hut's.  I was surprised at how small it is.  I mean, I've driven by it several times, but it seems a lot smaller on the inside.  I liked the black leather booths and the oldies music.  I had studied the menu the night before and discovered they were styled to be a '50s burger joint.

I think it's great that they have a burger named after each rock 'n' roll artist who died in that plane crash on February 3, 1959, and one named after the man who coined the phrase "rock 'n' roll".  They also have burgers named after Wolfman Jack (WHOM I MET ONCE -- yes, I'm bragging), Chubby Checker, and Fats Domino.  Unfortunately, the burger I wanted did not have a neat-o rock 'n' roll name... "Hut's Favorite".  I also like that they serve Diet Dr Pepper.  You don't find Diet Dr Pepper in as many places as you should.  Restaurant owners:  DIET COKE IS FOUL!  PLEASE OPT FOR DIET DR PEPPER INSTEAD, OR AT LEAST IN ADDITION.

My burger was a lot better than I figured it would be.  The meat was cooked medium well, which was fab, and the bun was just heavenly.  The cheese, mayo and lettuce toppings were such a great addition.  Everything tasted wonderfully.

My waiter was quite relaxed.  He was nice, but still didn't seem to care about me too much.  It didn't really bother me, though, since I was more interested in playing with my cell phone than talking to him.

For those of you who read my reviews of Fran's and Little Red Wagon Burgers, you know that my taste buds recently became a battleground between those two for the coveted title of Catherine's Favorite Austin Hamburger.  Then I decided to make Fran's my favorite Austin hamburger and Little Red Wagon my favorite Round Rock burger.  Well, a new battle upon my taste buds has commenced:  Fran's is now vying with Hut's for that coveted title. 

Verdict:  To eat

No comments:

Post a Comment