Friday, February 25, 2011

Kyoto - 315 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701

This place used to feature Happy Minutes.  It can't be called Happy Hour, as it only lasts 45 minutes.

THE PROS:  

-- The place was decorated quite nicely.  Good use of small space.   They were playing Asian Christmas music when I went in December 2009, which was a nice twist on American tradition.

-- The Deep Fried Shrimp (tempura shrimp on rice) I had was exceptionally good.  I was much more impressed with it than I thought I would be.  You get two pieces in the Happy "Hour" deal for $4.25.  Sounds expensive, but the shrimp are huge.

-- When two extra people joined us at our already full six-top and consequently constricted space a bit, we didn't get yelled at.  I was surprised we didn't get into trouble, being that I'd read a lot of other reviews that discussed Kyoto's Soup Nazi approach to things.

-- Kyoto opened early due to it being very cold outside.  I first sat outside on a nearby bench to wait for Happy 45 to begin, but I got too cold and ventured inside to the top of the staircase where another member of my group was waiting.  Three or four of us were waiting on or near the stairs when the elderly owner or hostess (not sure what her position is) came to tell us we needed to wait outside.  She was concerned that we were blocking access to the dress boutique next door.  Truly, we would have been blocking access to the entrance had there been anyone who actually wanted to go in there.  But we understood.  Apparently, the boutique has complained before, and the two businesses have an understanding about things, so we waited outside.  The old lady opened the restaurant early because of the cold, which was much appreciated.

THE CONS:

-- Only about half of our table's entrees arrived simultaneously.  The rest of us had to wait.  I waited the longest.  I really didn't expect tempura shrimp to take that long to cook, as it has not taken thirty minutes at any other sushi bar at which I've eaten.  I honestly thought the waitress had forgotten my order, and I was about to complain when I finally spied her bringing it.  This makes the second sushi place I've been to that brings people's orders out separately.  That's not the way a restaurant should do business.  Kyoto might worry about certain food cooling off before other food is ready, but everyone else ordered sushi that was already cold, so I don't see why they could not have delivered everything at the same time.  If at all possible, everyone's entrees should be brought out simultaneously.  I've eaten at restaurants in which one person orders a well-done steak, and another person orders an entree salad which does not take nearly as long to prepare, yet everything arrives at the same time.

-- The Longhorn roll was bland.  We all shared one of these rolls, and someone else at the table commented that it was spicy.  So when I ate my piece, I expected it to be spicy.  I'm a person who is pretty sensitive to spicy food, but I didn't taste anything spicy in there, folks.  The Longhorn roll really had no taste at all.  I don't understand why most people would essentially lay down their lives for one.  Another person at my table said his Godzilla roll was entirely too salty.  Just FYI.

-- Service was slow.  Not just talking about the food, but the check.  The waitress was fairly quick to bring the check initially, but it took her forever to process two credit cards and count cash (no one needed change from cash).

-- They, for some reason, will only accept up to two credit card payments per table.  I don't get this.  I just don't understand it.  Why the hell can three or four people at a table not pay their part of the bill with a credit card?  I'm lucky most everyone else had cash on them, as I had nothing but credit cards.  And, no, they absolutely will not do separate checks.

Lessons learned:  Bring cash if you go with a group.  Be prepared to spend longer than you want to spend at this restaurant.  The shrimp tempura is very good, and the staff is very nice and accommodating (except for the payment thing).

Verdict:  To not eat (mainly because they're now closed)

No comments:

Post a Comment