Thursday, March 3, 2011

24 Diner - 600 N Lamar, Austin, TX 78703

I went here for dinner Friday night with a group of, like, nine.  It was crowded, likely with first-timers.  I hope it was with first-timers, as I see no reason to go a second time.

I ordered the Breakfast Platter (2 scrambled eggs with cheese, wheat toast, bacon, french toast).  I wanted the potato cakes instead of french toast, but they were out. The french toast was not bad, actually, as it had mascarpone on it.  Was made better with lots of maple syrup, I must say, though.  The wheat toast was pretty inedible.  It wasn't as hard as some Yelpers have complained, but it was dry and therefore boring.  There was no butter nor jam with which to slather it.  Toast is all carbs anyway, and I was already getting carbs from the french toast, so I spared the decrepit wheat toast of being further rendered useless by my stomach acid.  The scrambled eggs were decent, but I'm telling you Denny's does a better job on breakfast in general.  And they're a lot cheaper.  The bacon was the best part of my meal.

None of my dinner mates sang the praises of their meals, so I deduced that their meals were as meh-to-middlin' as mine was.  The two best parts of the meal were the fact that I could order a beer with it (you can't do that at Denny's unless you're in New Orleans), and our waitress was awesome.  I can't remember her name, but she reminded me a lot of Jaime Pressly from "My Name Is Earl".  And no, not in that diner southern-hick-accent way, but merely in the way she looked.

I frankly didn't see much else on the menu I wanted to try because the prices were too high for comfort.

So the food ranks a solid 2 stars, but the service ranks a good 4 , so they average out to 3 stars.  I'm being generous.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment