Friday, March 11, 2011

The Hideout Coffeehouse - 617 Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78701

I went to the coffee shop for lunch one day.  The place is very off-putting.

Ordered a ham and cheese croissant, grilled.  The food wasn't too bad, but the service was another story.

I had originally planned on eating there, but ended up getting it to go.  The counter culture... ahem, counter help, seemed nice, smiley and helpful to the patrons in front of me, but when it was my turn, somebody flipped a switch.  The counter dude suddenly went from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Snide.

Dude:  [in an impatient, apathetic tone] "Yeah?"
Me:  "Hi, could I get a-- [counter dude starts impatiently tapping his fingers] a, um, ham and cheese croiss--"
Dude:  "Grilled??"
Me:  "I'm sorry?"
Dude:  "DO YOU WANT IT GRILLED?"
Me:  "Yes?"

While my sammich was grilling, I looked around and noticed I was the only person in there wearing business casual clothing.  Maybe my office wear convinced him I wasn't *cool*.  Maybe he's bipolar.  Maybe his girlfriend just broke up with him via telepathic message.  Maybe I won't ever go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment