Friday, March 11, 2011

Opal Divine's Marina - 12709 Mopac Expy, Austin, TX 78727

I've been going to this Opals nearly every Saturday night since April 2009 to play Geeks Who Drink trivia with my normally-winning team, Freaks Who Drink.

The beer selection is typically a bit pricey, but they also have a great selection.  Lots of local beers, I can always find something tasty.  The food, though, is a different story.

I used to like the Divine queso with carne, but they no longer serve that.  Frankly, though, the last time I had it, it was so thin and greasy I could've used it as WD-40 on my squeaky bicycle wheel.  And now they only serve Velveeta-like queso, with no carne add-in. 

They also used to serve mini corndogs, but no longer.  Those are reserved for children now.  The nachos are terrible, mainly because the nachos spend too long under the heat lamp, meaning the cheese gets a little overheated.  Also, they only add the nacho ingredients to the top of the whole mess of chips, rather than layering the ingredients, which is a complete fail.  And the burgers?  No thanks.  No flavor in the meat, and the rest of it almost nauseates me.

I once tried the fajitas, which weren't terrible.  The fish and chips are decent, but so is Gorton's fish and chips.  The french fries have way too much pepper on them for my taste, so adding cheese, green onions, bacon and sour cream doesn't disguise that fact.  It's gotten to the point where I eat at home before heading to trivia.

I will say, though, that the breakfast tacos they serve during weekend brunch are quite good, as is the coffee.

One of the managers seems to have a crush on me.  That was fine a couple of months ago, but he has taken so long to go from Point A to Point B -- despite knowing of my interest in him -- that I grew bored and frustrated, and completely moved on to other men.  I mention this only because this manager always buys me beer every time I go to trivia.  Frankly, it's getting creepy.  Frankly, it's driving me away from trivia nights at Opals.  Frankly, I'm afraid if I'm at all nice to him anymore, he'll get the wrong impression that I'm still interested in him.  Free beer is nice, but not dealing with someone's expectations for giving me free beer is much nicer.

But anyway, the servers have all been great.  I see quite a few of them at Hideout Pub, and they always remember me.  Never had a bad server here.  And the blonde hostess on Saturday nights is a complete sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment