Thursday, March 3, 2011

Freda's Seafood Grill - 10903 Pecan Park Blvd Austin, TX 78750

Six of us went here for brunch.  $19/person, so beware!

The food was pretty good.  They had fried shrimp which was extremely good; made-to-order omelets; delicious prime rib; an enticing plate of pineapple, but not many other fruits; crab legs; fried fish; pretty good pasta; and delectable bread pudding.  Yeah, I went back for thirds on that last one.  The french toast sticks may as well have been dried tar because they were overcooked and extremely difficult to bite into, and the raw oysters didn't taste too fresh.  I thought I read somewhere on their website that seafood is flown in daily, but now I can't find it anywhere.

I ate a lot more than I thought I would, but I wanted to try to get my money's worth.  Even though their online menu sounds like a lot -- and everything that was mentioned on the menu was present at the buffet -- it didn't seem like as much food in person.

Our waitress was very nice and personable and I liked her, but I dare say she was a bit socially inept.  She had a penchant for interrupting to tell us something completely inane like, "If we're out of something on the buffet, we'll refill it!" while someone was in the middle of a riveting story.  I don't know if she gets her kicks out of stealing the show, or what, but it was a bit annoying because she did it at least three times.

Gratuity was automatically added onto our bills.  I automatically deduct points from any restaurant that follows that practice.  I think it's absolutely unnecessary.

I've eaten at Freda's for lunch and dinner and liked it very much.  I will probably not return for brunch, but I will for other meals.

The girl who set up the brunch reservation was one of the same friends with whom I went to dinner at McCormick and Schmick's.  I can thankfully report this time that our table's conversation did not descend into talk of bathroom humor, or man-handling suggestions and personal relationship preferences from an inebriated guest.  We stuck to gentle topics like layoffs and divorce.  Brunch is safe; dinner with alcohol is deliciously eeeevil!

No comments:

Post a Comment