Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pacific Star Restaurant and Oyster Bar - 13507 N Hwy 183 Austin, TX 78750

It's so incredibly hard to find a decent shrimp po'boy outside of New Orleans.  Sigh.  I went to Pacific Star for lunch once, hoping that I'd found somewhere close to home to get my Cajun fix.  A happy marriage between Pacific Star and my taste buds was not to be.

I sat at the bar and immediately ordered.  None of the servers in the restaurant (tiny place) wanted to be there, it seemed.  My food came and it looked great.  I noticed the bread was heavily buttered and had some sort of seasoning on it.  It's a seasoning that I've seen on Italian food, but I couldn't place it.  I can safely say it should stay on Italian food and should never come into contact with a shrimp po'boy.  It simply tasted wrong.  The butter on the bread tasted wrong, too.  I thought it just didn't mix well with fried shrimp, but even the buttered bread by itself, without the shrimp, tasted wrong.  They must use some cheap-ass oleo, I tell you what.  And the fried shrimp wasn't de-shelled.  Wish it had been.  They also failed to remove the tails from the shrimp and devein them.  Wish they had removed that stuff, as it felt like I was munching on plastic.  The shrimps' flavor was good, but the texture ruined it.  I ate more than half my sammich, but I couldn't finish it because it was such a sad piece of utter failure.

Went to the register.  Credit card machine wasn't working.  I'm not deducting points for that, as it was out of their control.  It was apparently working just fine until I walked up, of course.  It ticked me off, though, because I'd planned to use my cash for drinks at a New Year's Eve party that night.  As a result, I had to make an extra trip to the ATM.

I won't go back to Pacific Star.  Not unless they stop buttering the bread and figure out how to properly prepare shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment