Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whole Foods Market - 9607 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759

This Whole Foods, like the one downtown, is always crowded.  And I can't believe I've actually been here twice in the last nine days.  Last night's trip was only to waste time while I waited for the Sprint phone gurus across the way to inconvenience me some more, but I didn't walk out of Whole Foods empty-handed.  More on that later.

Whole Foods is overpriced on most things, as you would expect.  Though, when I went last week to buy canned cat food, I was surprised that the price per can was on par with H-E-B.  I figured I'd be paying a dollar per can at Whole Foods.

I can never get out of the bakery and prepared foods department when I come here, and that's not because it's so crowded; it's because they have such great tasting stuff.  Last night I bought some chocolate-covered cinnamon gummy bears.  Big suckers, they are!  Seriously, go buy some today.  You'll thank me.

I try to stay out of the supplement/homeopathic medicine section when I go to this Whole Foods, and that's not just because homeopathic medicine is for suckers.  It's because this section is the Grand Central Station of Whole Foods employees.  They're everywhere pricing things, putting things, and moving things.  I can't be there for more than ten seconds before I hear, "Can I help you find something?" in my right ear.  Always in my right ear.  I guess they are trained that customers are more inviting if you approach them from the right.  But no, I quickly mutter, "Just looking, thanks," and move a few feet away where I'm greeted by another employee who wants to know if I'm looking for something in particular.  I'm funny when I shop; I'd rather be left alone.  If I need something, I'll let you know.  And I'm always amazed at the lack of attention Whole Foods employees seem to pay to the fact that you were just asked if you're okay twenty seconds ago by some other employee not five feet away.  So I move to the next aisle, where yet another Whole Foods employee takes a chance.  I finally move to the produce section where I have room to breathe.

I like this Whole Foods better than the one downtown because the one downtown is way too big.  I always get lost when I go in there.  Forget finding what I'm looking for, I can't even find the way out.  The downtown location is where I welcome the herd of Whole Foods employees with open arms.

I liked that I was able to find some pre-made samosas and saag paneer at Whole Foods last night.  Try doing THAT at H-E-B!

Chocolate-covered cinnamon gummy bears.  Seriously, get some... today, before I buy them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment