Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mulberry - 360 Nueces St, Austin, TX 78701

[cue music]:  "In springtime, the only pretty ring time, birds sing hey ding, a-ding, a-ding. Sweet lovers love the spring."

Entering the tiny Mulberry restaurant, I realized only an Oompa Loompa would feel completely comfortable in there.  I also realized it was incredibly cold and the music was too loud for me to easily hear my brunching companions.  No matter, as all I really cared about was trying out the food.

I was the only person at the table of eight who didn't order a Mimosa ("candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker").  It took quite a while for our drinks to come out.  "The suspense is terrible; I hope it'll last!"  Unfortunately, the waitress dropped the drink tray on her way over.  Ohhh, that was a 9.5 performance until she dropped the tray. She'll suffer a loss on the technical rating, but the spill was quite artistic so she's safe in that respect.

I ordered the "Poached Eggs, Spinach, Tomato, Rustic Toast, Béchamel", but once I saw the "Poached Eggs, Calabrese Salami, Rustic Toast, Hollandaise", I had major plate envy.  That's when the Oompa Loompas started singing to me:

"Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-da
If you're not greedy, you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa doom-pa-dee-do"

Yeah, yeah, shut up, Oompa Loompas!

I enjoyed my meal, but the bread was difficult to slice.  Every time I tried to cut into it, the table violently shook and drinks nearly spilled... again.  Other people at my table had bread-sawing problems, too, so we ended up making some fun out of it.  After all, "a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."

I definitely want to go back and try the poached egg-salami dish.  I may have to just pick it up and eat it so I won't shake my drink off the table, though.

I cut out of there more quickly than I wanted to in order to meet other friends at another happening place.  "So much time and so little to do!  Strike that, reverse it..."

No comments:

Post a Comment