Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bakerman's Bakery - 120 E 7th St, Austin, TX 78701

The sandwich I had here was lackluster at best.  First off, they gave me the wrong sandwich.  I asked for turkey (lettuce, cheddar, mayo), but they gave me ham (swiss, mustard).  The counter gal even asked me, "Turkey and no tomatoes, right?"  I ate the sandwich anyway and expected to like it, but I unfortunately didn't think it tasted very good.  And you know how the edges of ham cold cuts are a different texture, a texture almost like paper?  Bakerman's ham suffers quite horribly from that malady, and this is why I typically don't get ham sammiches at any deli.  That's not the only reason I disliked the sandwich.  I'm not a huge mustard fan, so that turned me off, as well.  Sometimes I like mustard, but usually I don't.  So I didn't even eat half of this sammich before I threw it away.

The sandwich was, at least, affordable.  $4.25, which is cheaper than Jimmy John's, but you don't get nearly as much sandwich at Bakerman's.  And the sammich was put on plain white bread, which is something I can oh-so easily do at home.

Thankfully, I also bought a s'mores cookie, which was incredibly good and incredibly huge.  'Twas a great value at $1.55.  I highly recommend getting one of these cookies.

If Bakerman's had a soda fountain, I probably would have stayed there to eat (and thus would have been able to get my sandwich corrected).  The reason I didn't stay is because I didn't see any drinks in the fridge that I wanted.  Coke, Diet Coke (ack!), some bottled tea that I had yesterday but didn't particularly like.  I didn't even see bottled water.  I felt like a kid from one of those old-school Sunny Delight commercials where the brat opens the fridge and rifles through it, dismissively muttering, "Soda, OJ, purple stuff... SUNNY D!"  Only I didn't find anything comparable to Sunny D in Bakerman's fridge, so I took my ball and went home.  That is to say, I took my sammich and went back to the office.

The counter girl gave awesome service, so there is that.

I might actually try out their soup, provided I can go on a day when they feature a soup I might like.

Had I not gotten that s'mores cookie, I would have given this place a worse review.  Luckily for them my gluttony got the better of me that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment