Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pappasito's - 6513 N Hwy 35 Austin, TX 78752

I'd eaten at the one in Dallas a couple of times, like, twelve years ago, and I ate at this one once about five years ago.  The one in Dallas is simply awesome.  At least, it was in 1997.  I remember thinking the one here was just okay last time, but I wasn't paying for it so I gave them a more charitable opinion.

This time I ordered the Guadalajara meal.  It comes with two cheese enchiladas, a pork tamale, and a beef taco.  The enchiladas weren't too bad, but I've definitely had better (hello, Camino Real).  The tamale was actually better than Camino Real's pork tamale.  See, I had the exact same meal at Camino Real recently, so I can quite easily and boisterously compare the two.  Pappasito's beef taco was a cry for help.  The meat had onions and jalapenos within it, which I didn't like, so I concentrated on eating the upper part (cheese, lettuce) of the taco, which was no better than Taco Bell's offerings.  Camino Real's beef taco was not a godsend, but it was definitely more palatable than the one I masticated (heh... she said "masticated"!) at Pappasito's.  So see, Camino Real wins on two of the three items on the plate.  Oh, and my forgetful waiter specifically asked me if I wanted onions atop my enchiladas.  I said yes, but I didn't get any.  I also didn't get the refried beans that were supposed to come with it.  I'm pretty sure I got charro beans instead, which were disappointing.

Speaking of my waiter, Drew... I ordered a Coors Light when I first sat down.  Pappasito's offers three choices of Coors Light:  a bottle, or two different draft sizes.  I wanted the small draft size, but I decided to test my waiter by simply ordering "Coors Light".  The butthead never asked me what size I wanted, and gave me a bottle.  Fine, whatever.  I didn't quite finish the bottle anyway, but it would have been nice to have been asked.  On the plus side, Drew read my mind and brought me a glass of water.  He needs to smile more, though.  I couldn't tell if he wanted to wait on me or wanted me to go to hell.  Perhaps he just has a reserved personality.  Or, perhaps, he wanted to go home.  The world will never know.

Oh, and their salsa is like a suicide attempt:  worth trying only once, only if you're really really miserable.  I didn't so much mind it being very watery in consistency, but it completely lacked flavor and spice.  The tortilla chips practically crumbled before entering the Lake of Salsa Hell because they instinctively knew how unappealing it was.

I don't expect I'll go back to Pappasito's unless someone else is paying.  I'll stick to Camino Real, my neighborhood hole-in-the-wall to-die-for Messycan restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment