Thursday, March 17, 2011

Roaring Fork - 10850 Stonelake Blvd, Austin, TX 78759

I know it's almost blasphemous to give a chain restaurant five stars, but I had the best happy hour at this Roaring Fork.  I went once before, a couple of years ago, but I only had wine, so I didn't really experience too much of the restaurant.  Last year, I had mixed drinks, food and fun with friends.

Edison C., Lorena O., Monica O., Pete N. and I went here for drinks and conversation, and we ended up getting a lot for our money.  We started out in the bar, but with our waiter's help we took our par-TAY to the covered patio where they had comfy couches.  It was almost like hanging out at someone's home, only there were waiters.

Speaking of waiters, one waiter who came by was awfully cute.  He had this almost '70s-Jeff-Lynne hair.  He brought out Pete's food, and he offered to take our orders if we wanted anymore food or drink, even though he wasn't actually our waiter.  Most other restaurants I've been to, if you ask a different waiter for something, he'll say, "I'll tell your waiter."  Our regular waiter was nice and on top of things, as well, but he wasn't as cute as the other one.  Cute, but not as cute.  Is it hot in here?

I started out with an orange mojito that blew my mind.  Monica got some sort of pear-something-or-other that was FABULOUS!  I wanted to order one after I finished my mojito, but I instead decided to get my first ever Old Fashioned.  It was good, but strong.  I couldn't have a third drink and expect to be able to drive home, so that pear-whatever drink will have to wait until next time.  And there will be a next time.  Edison got a huckleberry margarita, which he said he liked, but he also said it was quite strong.  So you won't get watered-down drinks here!

To eat, I got the Hickory-Smoked Salmon.  It came with panini bread, capers, and tartar sauce.  WOW!  The salmon was so tasty and flaky, like that free-spirited guy I went out with once.  And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think that was the best tartar sauce I've ever had.  I just kept slopping it on my panini slices, and loading up the bread with flavorful, perfectly-cooked salmon, and capers.

I didn't try any of the other food, but other food was had by our group.  I believe all was enjoyed.  All was certainly eaten without a problem.  Lorena and I were kinda obsessing over the basket of jalapeno cornbread muffins, meaning we each ate too many of them and asked for a second basket.

Roaring Fork really knows how to take care of you; the service and food were both top-notch, as was the view.  I can't afford to go to Roaring Fork anytime soon for dinner, but I can afford happy hour, or maybe lunch, so I'll definitely be back.  Hell, I'd go back just to get another handful of the delicious chocolate mint sticks they have at the host stand on the way out!

No comments:

Post a Comment