Friday, March 11, 2011

Fish City Grill - 1019 W University Ave, Georgetown, TX 78628

I had a decent enough shrimp po' boy at the Fish City Grill in the Triangle sometime in 2009, but I understand that location is now closed.  Doesn't matter.  My parents talked me into driving to Georgetown and having lunch at this FCG with them one day, instead of going to the food trailer tour on S Lamar.  Evil parents!  But hey, I can't say no to a free lunch.

It was going to be either here or Cotton Patch Cafe, and my parents decided they'd like to try FCG since they'd never eaten at one.  My dad commented that the place is a lot smaller than it appears from the outside.  I'm sure it's nice when the weather is warm, as they have some outdoor seating.

We met there at noon, but it wasn't very crowded at all, amazingly.  Our waiter was average.  I don't even remember his name.

I was all set to get a shrimp po' boy until my mother pointed out the specials on the chalkboard behind us.  I settled on the special called Graham Cracker Crusted Tilapia with Key Lime Glaze.  My mother ordered the Pecan Crusted Shrimp Salad, and Dad got an oyster po' boy.

Dad didn't realize he could have gotten rice instead of waffle fries with his po' boy.  He's not a waffle fry fan.  No problem, though, as the fries ended up on my plate, and I ate every last one.  Otherwise, he said his sammich was "pretty good", with a slight inflection in his voice.

Mom was a little disappointed with her salad because the shrimp were not actually pecan crusted; they were just grilled.  There were pecans in the salad, but not attached to the shrimp, so don't be fooled.  She said she liked her salad regardless.

My tilapia dish was excellent.  I was worried that the tilapia wouldn't taste right enveloped in graham cracker crust, but FCG proved me wrong.  And that key lime glaze was just sweet enough.  It was the perfect complement to the fish. The grilled veggies it came with were just okay.  Zucchini, carrots and broccoli were all I recognized.  There was another vegetable that looked almost like zucchini, but it also resembled -- and tasted like -- a pickle.  I couldn't imagine how this lowly, perfectly rectangular pickle strip ended up on the plate with the rest of my vegetables without being laughed at and shunned by the other vegetables.  It simply had no proper place on the plate.  If it wasn't a pickle, I'm not sure what it was.  An ugly and odd-tasting duckling it was, for sure.

There was also rice on the plate that wasn't too great.  I couldn't figure out what seasoning it had on it.  It tasted like poultry seasoning, though that would be quite strange to bathe your rice in.  My dad tasted it and agreed with my poultry seasoning verdict.  My mother guessed it might instead be sage, though that, too, seems a bit peculiar for use in rice.

So I enjoyed my meal, and my parents said they enjoyed theirs, as well.  Our waiter was decent enough, though not stellar.  All in all, I can recommend this place.  If you happen to see Graham Cracker Crusted Tilapia listed on the specials board, I strongly suggest you try it.

One more odd thing:  They offer banana pudding as a dessert.  Strange for a place that doesn't serve barbecue or comfort food.  So maybe that actually was poultry seasoning on my rice and a pickle stick among my veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment