Friday, March 11, 2011

Chuy's - 1728 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704

Once again, I disagree with most people.  Big surprise.  I ate at the Chuy's at 183/Duval a few years ago because some friends wanted to go.  A thirty-minute wait and vomit-worthy food does not a happy Catherine make.  It also does not an Austin institution make, at least not in my mind.  How can you have terrible food and still be considered the top cock of Austin Tex-Mex?  See the last paragraph for my theory.

A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted to give Chuy's another go.  Perhaps I went on an off day.  Maybe the Chuy's I went to the first time stinks but the others are good.  So many people in this city love Chuy's so much, that that must have been the case, I thought.  So I finally decided today to throw my money away and give Chuy's a try for lunch.

I'd like to stress that this review is only about the food.  I cannot comment on the service, decor, ambiance or parking at this location, as I had my food delivered to my office by Eat Out In.

I ordered the Comida Deluxe (2 cheese enchiladas, 1 crispy beef taco, 2 chicken flautas, and chile con queso).

I was excited when the delivery guy handed me a sizeable bag of tortilla chips, but my excitement quickly faded, as if I had been chewing Fruit Stripe gum, when I saw the piddly 2-oz Solo ramekin of queso.  

The refried beans tasted like leather and cigars.  What the hell are they doing in the kitchen??  Beans shouldn't taste like a ranch.  The rice was dry and overcooked, so one bite of that crap was too much.

The enchilada sauce tasted like ketchup that spent 15 years in prison.  What I mean by that is, it tasted like some rancid plain tomato sauce and Chef Boyardee had a love child.  The enchiladas themselves were bland, and something tasted off about the corn tortillas.  I scraped some of the cheese out of the enchiladas and dipped it in my ramekin of sour cream.  FYI, I got more sour cream than I did queso.  Oh, and the enchiladas were hard to cut through.  My plastic fork broke during one of my attempts.

The chicken flautas were the only decent things on the plate, so I ate those and threw everything else in the garbage where it belonged.

Perhaps I'll go back and try the Kool-Aid.  It must really pack a wallop, seeing as how so many people worship Chuy's like a golden idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment