Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pour House Pub - 6701 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX 78757

4/23/10:

I wasn't going to write a review about Pour House because I simply can't think of much to say about them, but I think not reviewing it would be a completely sacrilegious act that would send me straight to hell. 

Of course I can't hold Pour House responsible for the nasty weather Austin experienced the evening my friends and I were there, but I was glad to see they had a covered stage area, and even more glad they allowed us to use it.  I was the second person there, but I stayed inside until the rest of my friends got there.  The bartender was friendly to me, but I was a bit unimpressed with their beer selection.  I looked behind the bar and didn't see anything on tap, so I asked what they had on tap.  Bartender says, "We don't have anything on tap; it's all in jugs."  WTF?  Is that some kind of joke?  It was right after he said that that I looked around and saw a back wall with several beers on tap.  M'kay... I'll have a 512 Pecan Porter.  "Sorry, but we're out of that one.  How's about a Guinness?"  Nah, too heavy for me.  I ordered some other beer, which they were also out of.  So now this place is reminding me a lot of BB Rover's, which is a bar in my neighborhood that is famed to have about 300 beers, yet I always have to play Twenty Questions with the waitress to figure out which beers they actually have in stock that day.

I finally, after three guesses, found a beer that Pour House had:  Live Oak Hefeweizen.  Perfect!  Set me up!

So I ended up outside chit-chatting with others, as more and more friends came to join us.  Our waitress, Roxy, was friendly and talkative, and she brought me Hefeweizen after Hefeweizen quick as a bunny.

I didn't order any food, but upon looking through the menu, I commented to a friend that the menu was almost exactly like the one at my favorite bar, The Hideout Pub.  Roxy later told us that the two are owned by the same people.  Shazaam!  I soon after learned they also own Bender, Barfly's, Mugshots, and Violet Crown (the newest member of the family).  I tried one of a friend's chili fries, which was good; we decided they probably put beer in their chili.  I do, however, think the sammich selection is much better at Hideout.  The jukebox selection was solid, just like it is at Hideout.

I think Pour House is a fine pub, but it just can't live up to Hideout's status in my mind, so Pour House is the Hideout's slightly less attractive younger sister whom you'd sleep with if the Hideout was too busy.  Hideout's closer to where I live and has a bigger inside (which makes her quite slutty. Get it?), and her servers and bartenders are even easier to get along with, and I feel more at home there.  Pour House does have a bigger patio, though.  So I guess that's like saying Pour House has a bigger rack, but her personality is boring.  Pour House also only has one toilet per gender, whereas Hideout has three each so Hideout is definitely sluttier, as she can handle more people.  Another point in Hideout's favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment