Thursday, March 10, 2011

Taco Shack - 402 Brazos St, Austin, TX 78701

The more positive my review, the less inspired I am to write it.  I don't know why.  I guess I'm funnier and more creative when I'm bitching.

I'll get the good stuff out of the way so I can save my favorite part (the bitching) for last.

I think the tacos here are good.  I finally walked over here for lunch, having meant to do so for nearly two months.  I haven't eaten at any other Taco Shack, but based on the ratings and my impression of the food at this location, I assume the tacos are phenomenal at almost every other location.

I got the Crispy Taco Plate (3 beef tacos, refried beans, rice and drink).  The tacos were great.  I wasn't expecting them to be, but they were.  The beef tasted just fine; they gave me ample cheese; and there were thankfully very few tomatoes on them, so I had little to fling off onto the plate.  And the taco shells were wonderful.  As crispy and fresh as possible, they were.  The beans were pretty good, but the rice could be improved upon.

They have Diet Dr Pepper on tap, which is an A+ in my book.

The only negative thing I can say about Taco Shack is that it's overpriced.  I didn't feel the meal I had today was worth $6.50 because the tacos were pretty small.  I can go to Taco Hell and get three larger crispy tacos and a large-ass drink for $3-something.  Add beans and rice, and it still comes out about a dollar cheaper than Taco Shack.  Of course, Taco Hell's tacos aren't as good as Taco Shack's are.  Not in my opinion, anyway.  So I guess if I have to pay an extra dollar for better taste, so be it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment