Sunday, March 13, 2011

Antonio's Mexican Restaurant - 12602 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759

I ended up at Antonio's because I hadn't eaten there since before they left their old building on Jollyville.  I was tired of having that stupid Kerbey Lane right there, but I was hoping Antonio's would keep their old location and something completely different would take over Kerbey Lane's spot.  Nonetheless, I gave Antonio's another shot because I seemed to remember liking their food pretty well.

I went around 3pm, so there was hardly a soul in the restaurant.  Ahhh, I can BREATHE!  And, ooooooh, "FASHION!  Turn to the left... FASHION!  Turn to the right..."  I was expecting the typical Latino music, but this '80s satellite station will do much better!

Gary greeted me the very second I walked in.  He reminded me, both in looks and personality, of my good friend, Steve, who lives in Dallas.  Gary asked if I wanted to sit outside on the back patio, to which I said yes.  I went back there, and Gary set me up with an iced tea and a Mexican martini.

I ordered the Enchilada Dinner (cheese, with chile con carne sauce).  And, DAMN, that was a delicious Mexican martini!  It wasn't strong enough, though.  The one I had at Camino Real up the street knocked me on my ass... and I remember realizing it was a good thing I'd *walked* over there that evening.  So Antonio's needs to remind the bartender to include alcohol in the drinks.

The chile con carne sauce made the enchiladas taste almost like they'd sat on the kitchen line for a while and had been reheated, but I knew that couldn't be the case because of the time involved.  They must just use some funky recipe for chile con carne.  The enchiladas themselves tasted just fine, though I've had better.  I said earlier that Gary reminded me of my friend who lives in Dallas.  This lead me to think of my favorite restaurant up there, El Fenix.  THE best Mexican restaurant I've ever had the pleasure of patronizing, and it's a pity that my parents no longer live in Dallas, as I now have little excuse to drive up there.  El Fenix is the kind of Mexican restaurant at which I'd proudly gorge myself every day if I thought my thighs could handle it.  Antonio's can't compete with El Fenix, I'm afraid, but they're third best in my book (behind Camino Real).

The rice and refried bean paste were wonderful, but the salsa was poor.  It tasted good, but it wasn't spicy at all.  I was under a sneak allergy attack all day yesterday, so I was hoping for something to open up my sinuses, but no go.  Frankly, I recently discovered that if you want spicy salsa, Maudie's ain't bad, but don't count on Antonio's to spin your dial.

I'm sure I'll go back.  The back patio is great, even if the drinks and salsa won't take me to another world while I'm there.  Nothing beats decent Messycan food with '80s music to masticate to.  Frankie says relax (at Antonio's with a tasty weak Mexican martini).

No comments:

Post a Comment