Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mimi's Cafe - 10515 N Mopac Expy, Austin, TX 78758

Occasionally you have a review to write that just doesn't want to be written.  A review you procrastinate writing for two weeks because you're uninspired to write it.  A review that makes you want to yank out all your teeth if it would make you forever forget about the guilt you feel for having put it off.  This is one such review.

My first two experiences at this Mimi's location were great, but my third was just average.  The first experience was sometime in the summer of 2009.  I'd gone with a group for brunch.  They gave us each a brunch menu AND a lunch menu, and my head started spinning because of the vast number of choices I had.  I'm rarely indecisive about anything, but food never ceases to produce inner ambivalence.  When I'm at work, my first 4-5 hours on the job are spent using a fraction of my brain to figure out where I want to eat for lunch.  I go back and forth, over and over.  I write down the names of the various restaurants that are intriguing my taste buds, and I tear the slips apart, mix them up, and then pick one, telling myself I will eat at the restaurant whose name I picked, come hell or high water.  And then I decide that I don't really want to eat at the restaurant I picked, and the whole exhausting process resumes.  Mimi's is therefore not a good restaurant for someone like me.

I noticed some of the dishes are repeated on the menu, in that you can get the full-fledged meal or a smaller version with something else added or subtracted.  The day of that brunch, I think I got the Quiche Lorraine, which was passable, and it came with an exceptionally tasty Buttermilk Spice muffin.  A friend gave me one of his chicken tenders, which was very good.

My parents took me to Mimi's for my birthday last year, as I'd received an email birthday coupon.  My mom got the Quiche Lorraine and thought it was pretty good.  Dad got the Meatloaf Ciabatta and liked it.  I got Mimi's Original Pain Perdu Breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, Buttermilk Spice muffin, French toast with mascarpone/orange marmalade, and grapefruit juice).  I was amazed at how much food I got for the money.  I was also amazed that I apparently have lost my taste for French toast.  I used to love it, but I've had it at three or four restaurants in the last year, and none of it was very good.

The eggs were average, and the bacon was great.  The potatoes remained uneaten, at least by me.  The Buttermilk Spice muffin was excellent, as usual, and the grapefruit juice was a nice touch.  Our waitress was excellent, too.

About a week later, Colin, Scott, and I went to Mimi's for a quick bite.  I got the chicken tenders and a Mojito.  The Mojito came in an extremely tall glass with an even longer straw, which made it impossible to simply slide the glass across the table and lean over to drink from the straw, unless I was Yao Ming.  I had to take it off the table and lower it about a foot to be able to successfully drink from said straw.  And it was a bit too rum-heavy for my taste.  I enjoyed the drink, but I've had better Mojitos elsewhere.

My chicken tenders were not as good as the last time I'd eaten one, and something was wrong with the side of ranch dressing.  I don't know exactly what was wrong with that dressing, but it tasted like it had gone bad, or something.  I should have asked for some gravy, but I just ate my chicken tenders naked.  Er, the chicken tenders were naked; I was fully clothed.  With the tenders came a huge pineapple wedge, and some grapes.  I very much liked that.

We also got some cinnamon beignets that were delicious.

The email coupons will likely keep me coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment