Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dos Salsas - 1104 S Main St, Georgetown, TX 78626

I went here for lunch twice with my parents.  With as much complaining as others have done about the parking lot, I was surprised to see as much parking as I did.  Granted, there aren't a LOT of spots in their parking lot, but with as little indoor seating as Dos Salsas seems to have, it seemed like there would be almost enough parking spaces if the restaurant was at full capacity.  And at full capacity it was... at 3:15pm!  Even still, we had no trouble getting a parking space.  There was one empty table when we got inside, so we lucked out.

The waitress was very nice and I liked her, even though it took her a good seven minutes to even say hello to us.

I don't remember what any of us ordered, but my mother thought the food could've/should've been spicier.  I don't think I've ever heard her say that, so it's safe to say the food was pretty devoid of spices.  Personally, it didn't bother me.  Since it's Tex-Mex, my mother expected it to be spicier.  I'm not altogether sure exactly what Tex-Mex cooking consists of, but according to Wikipedia, "Tex-Mex cuisine is characterized by its heavy use of melted cheese, meat (particularly beef), beans, and spices..."  So, according to Wikipedia, I guess my mother had a right to expect spicy food.  Frankly, though, I've eaten at plenty of Tex-Mex places with my parents, and I never thought any of the other places' dishes were particularly spicy.  Like I said earlier, I wasn't bothered by the absence of spiciness.  I quite enjoyed my meal (two cheese enchiladas, queso, one beef taco, rice and beans), and we all agreed that the portions were generous.

That after which the restaurant was named, however, was pretty uninspired.  They gave us a red salsa and a "green" salsa.  I say "green" because it looked to be more of a honey-green to me.  I liked the "green" salsa because I honestly do think there was honey -- or some other sweet ingredient -- in there.  None of us much cared for the red salsa.  I thought it was too heavy on cilantro.  The three of us agreed that neither salsa was spicy-hot enough.  Here is where I agree with my parents.  Now, I don't want salsa that is so spicy-hot that it gives me a coughing fit, but I neither want salsa that is as tame as a tranquilized lion.

Since I live a good 20-25 miles south of Georgetown, I can't see myself returning to Dos Salsas, unless my parents want to give it another go.

If I was basing this review on only my opinions, I'd probably give it fewer points, but I felt I should take my parents' opinions into consideration since I went to the trouble of asking for their opinions (sometimes a mistake).  More group opinion gives the rest of you better ability to make a more informed decision about whether or not to patronize a restaurant.

I say you should certainly give Dos Salsas a try if you're in Georgetown.

No comments:

Post a Comment