Sunday, March 13, 2011

Odd Duck Farm To Trailer - 1219 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704

Lisa M. and I ended up here after splurging and merging at Opa! down the street.  Neither of us had tried Odd Duck, and both of us wanted to, so it was as simple as that.  Parking behind the trailers was not hard to find.

Once we got there, I realized I was a bit tipsy from the wine at Opa! earlier, so I realized I needed food and water STAT!  I don't remember what Lisa ordered (frankly, I was all concerned with what I ordered and then getting us a table), but I got grits with soft boiled duck egg, rabbit and mushrooms ($6).  I loves me some grits, and I'd never eaten rabbit nor duck egg before, so I was very much looking forward to trying something new.  I seem to recall getting my water for free.  I asked for some "tap water with ice" (because I didn't want to pay for anything else), but was given a chilled bottle of water.  I am almost completely sure I only shelled out a total of $6, though, so... AWESOME!

Lisa and I sat down and flirted with the idea of trying Brevita.  I was running out of cash, and we'd already decided to go for the extra weight gain at Gourdough's after dinner, so Brevita was out.

Odd Duck brought our meals out to us, and WOW!  I actually got more food in my bowl than I thought I would; I had no need to order a second dish.  The rabbit meat tasted good and interesting, but it seemed slimy and fatty.  Nevertheless, the rabbit gave the dish a nice hop.  The soft-boiled duck egg with the grits was an excellent combination, and it then occurred to me that I had chicken eggs and grits at home.  Yeah, so guess what I did when I got up today?  Yep, I microwaved some eggs, microwaved some grits, and put them together.  Since the eggs weren't soft-boiled, they were a disappointment when compared to the way Odd Duck makes them.  Henceforth, I'll cook the eggs on the stove.  The duck egg yolk bleeding into the grits at Odd Duck was a wonderful taste, and it left me wanting more!

I seem to recall having a few orgasms while eating this grit/egg concoction, and Lisa was doing the same while eating her fare.  I'm sure we got a few strange looks.  I don't really dig mushrooms, but Lisa took some of those off my hands... er, from my bowl.

Next time I see "grits with soft boiled duck egg, rabbit and mushrooms" on Odd Duck's online menu, I'm heading down there.  Don't worry, I'm sure I'll go back before that to try out some other stuff.  The cauliflower soup sounds yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment