Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Margarita's Mexican Restaurant - 10280 W State Hwy 29, Liberty Hill, TX 78642

This place is literally in the middle of nowhere.  Liberty Hill is nowhere, right?  If you happen to be hungry, and at the intersection of Hwy 29 and 183, stop in and give this place a whirl.  The food isn't spectacular, but it isn't terrible.

My mother wanted to go here for Mother's Day lunch, so we journeyed from Sun City to Liberty Hill.  This is how I learned exactly where Liberty Hill actually is.  I'd heard of it and know a couple of people who live there, but I always figured it was south of Austin.  And that's what I get for figgerin'.

The restaurant is big with ample parking, and they have a few large booths to accommodate you and fifty of your closest friends, as well as a dining room that can be closed off for private parties.  The decor reminds me of an Arizona Denny's, though.

My mother wanted to start with queso, and I suggested we get the queso with taco meat and pico de gallo in it.  It was her day, and she didn't want chili con queso, so we got the regular queso.  And it was just... cheese.  Nothing else.  No spices at all.  I really didn't expect that we would've had to order the chili con queso to get any sort of oomph, but apparently that's what we should've done.  Well, actually, I kinda doubt the chili con queso would've had any spice in it.  Mom tried to help by sprinkling a boat-load of black pepper into the queso, but it didn't make it spicy at all; it just made it taste bad.  On the positive side, the cheese didn't taste like Velveeta.  Similarly bland was the salsa.  Mom wanted to go here because a couple of neighbors recommended this place, saying Margarita's has spicy food.  I asked where these neighbors are from.  Minnesota.  Well, there you go.  Never trust anybody from Minnesota about Tex-Mex, Mom!

I don't remember what either of my parents got for entrees, but I got the Supreme Dinner.  I think that's what it was called.  It came with two enchiladas, a beef taco, and rice and beans.  I opted for cheese enchiladas, as I always do, but the waitress brought me beef.  It didn't take her long to rectify the mistake, and I had the beef taco to munch on in the meantime.  That beef taco was decent but not great.  The cheese enchiladas were also decent but not great.  The service was decent but not great.  Everything about this place is decent but not great.

So Margarita's is a great place to stop if you happen to be in the area and haven't eaten in a few days, but I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to get there.

Oh, if you DO go anytime soon, try not to use the restroom if you're a woman.  They're currently renovating the ladies' bathroom right now, so only two toilets work.  And one of those working toilets is in a stall without a door.  I guess that's fine if you're an exhibitionist.  And there was barely enough toilet paper in that stall that did have a door.  Cool sinks and faucets, though

No comments:

Post a Comment