Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cru 11410 Century Oaks Terrace, Austin, TX 78758

I'm suffering from a case of Mimosa-osis-itis, so please frogive my misssplellings...

I went to this Cru once last year, and even though I easily spent $50 that day, I think I appreciated the menu a lot more then than I did today.  Recently I went with a group for brunch.  Our menu was $15 for ALL of the following:

**************************

CrĂș House Salad
(Mixed greens, tomato, spicy walnuts, gorgonzola & lemon vinaigrette)

Classic Eggs Benedict
(Poached egg on toasted english muffin with canadian bacon
& hollandaise sauce)

Crunchy Cinnamon French Toast
(Fresh berries, sliced bananas & warm maple syrup)

Stone Fired Pear & Gorgonzola Pizza
(Comice pears, caramelized onion, honey, parmesan cheese & basil)

Chocolate Covered Strawberry

...and $9 bottomless Mimosas.

***************************

Yeah.  You bet your ass I was gonna get my nine dollars' worth of those Mimosas.  Sheesh, I can get bottomless Mimosas for a lot cheaper elsewhere, even downtown.

So let's start with the salad.  I, myself, am not that crazy about gorgonzola cheese, but I dealt with it.  What was hard for me to deal with was the atrocious amount of pepper and other spices on the greenery that made my mouth burn, the likes of which water and mimosa hardly alleviated.

The Eggs Benedict was standard.  No better nor worse than any Eggs Benedict dish I've had at any number of other places.

The French Toast came out on the same plate as the Eggs Benedict, but the bananas apparently jumped ship before the vessels got to our table, 'cause I didn't see any bananas anywhere.  French Toast is easy to screw up, and Cru certainly did so by covering the toast in a cornflake batter.  Interesting presentation, but I'm not sure anyone at the table really enjoyed that.

The pizza was the gold-medal winner of the meal.  I thought I would hate it because of the presence of gorgonzola, but I instead thoroughly enjoyed the pizza.  I never would have thought to pair pear (hehe... homonyms are fun) with onions.  There ended up being an extra piece of pizza, and I somehow luckily ended up with it.

The chocolate covered strawberries were surprisingly good, having been outfitted in dark chocolate, which I normally don't like, but it worked here.  I think the strawberries should have been a little riper, though.  They weren't quite sweet enough, but still good.

Our waiter, Jesse, was slow, both physically and mentally, but he was pretty hot.  It took longer than necessary to get our checks, and even though he took the checks from us in a certain order so he could remember whose check belonged to whom, he still managed to give almost everyone the incorrect bill/credit card.  It's a good thing you're hot, Jesse.

No comments:

Post a Comment