Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cotton Patch Cafe - 1021 W University Ave, Georgetown, TX 78628

I drove all the way up here to eat with my parents and my uncle, Gary.  But hey, I can't pass up a free meal.  I'd eaten here once late last year with my parents, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I almost got the club sammich, and I really wish I had gotten that instead of the 6-oz steak.  The steak wasn't terrible, mind you, but I've had much better.  It was bland tasting, so there were no spices on it whatsoever.  What else did I get?  Oh yeah, onion strings and green beans.  Meh to middlin'.  I think the complimentary bread was the best-tasting thing, and it wasn't even that good.

Our waiter was nice enough, but not very attentive.  Tea glasses stayed empty for too long.  In fact, I was never offered a refill on mine.  When he delivered our food, I mentioned that I needed silverware.  That shouldn't take more than, like, 40 seconds to produce, right?  Go grab a roll of silverware and bring it back, right?  Five minutes later, I finally had silverware.  No, five minutes isn't a long time to wait, but when you're watching your food cool down and you're waiting to get something which takes absolutely no prep time, five minutes seems like an eternity.

And here's the really stupid thing:  The last time I went here with my parents, I ordered the exact same dish (but with a baked potato instead of green beans).  I knew then that it wasn't a great steak, but I ordered it again yesterday for some dumb reason.

My mother ordered the half soup (baked potato) and half sammich (club).  She liked the soup, but she wasn't too crazy about the club.  That's not to say I wouldn't like it, though, so if I eat with them here again, I'll give the club a shot.  It looked good, anyway.

My dad got the meatloaf, which he very much enjoyed.  My mother got the meatloaf last time we came, and she gave it a glowing review.

Gary got the CFS with garlic mashed potatoes and something else.  He was pretty impressed with it, and this is a man who eats a lot, so you can trust him on food.  He once got thrown out of a buffet for eating too much, totally Homer Simpson style.

Note to self:  Don't be an idiot next time; order something other than the steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment