Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sprouts Farmers Market - 10225 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78759

I was in the neighborhood, having just blown some money at Bed Bath & Beyond, and I needed milk.  Do I want to drive to H-E-B, or do I just want to get my grocery shopping over with at Sprouts since it's right here?  Sprouts won.

Walking in, I saw Sprouts for exactly what it was:  Whole Foods.  So I expected inflated prices.  Actually, the prices seem fair on about half the items.  In fact, the milk I got was only $1.99.  It's over $2 at H-E-B.  Score one for Sprouts!  However, they didn't have much toothpaste to choose from.  I was hoping for some run-of-the-mill Crest or something, but there were only specialty brands to be had at Sprouts.  That bothered me.  I understand carrying the specialty, green, organic, etc., brands, but can't you at least also carry one lousy tube of Colgate??  I got the cheapest brand, which cost over $5, and I didn't get a very big tube for the price.  So Sprouts loses a star.

The check-out girl was helpful, especially in explaining to me how to bag up things in the bulk foods section and write the box number on it.  Oops, I didn't do that.  Didn't know I was supposed to.  But now I know.  She didn't get pissed off that she had to look up the code, and she didn't treat me like an idiot; she simply explained the process, and that was that.  Much appreciated.  I'll know for next time.  And it's a good thing she was still watching me as I grabbed my bags and started to leave, because I almost ambled through the emergency exit.  Had she not warned me, I'm sure I would have set off some awful-sounding alarms.  Once again, I'll know for next time.

I certainly won't do my normal grocery shopping here because it's too expensive, and they simply don't have everything I need.  But if I need something special, green, organic, etc., I might stop in here again.  As it was, I got milk, toothpaste, dinner, raspberry-lime water, gummy worms, and some chocolate-covered espresso beans for $20, so that ain't too bad, methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment