Thursday, March 3, 2011

Maki: How Do You Roll? - 10515 N Mopac Expy Austin, TX 78759

SERVICE/CONCEPT:  I like the fact that I can go to this sushi restaurant and get EXACTLY what I want in a roll.  Some of you read my review of Dokdoya, in which I heavily scolded them for putting unadvertised avocado in my roll.  I love avocado, but I'm allergic to it.  The counter dude at Maki thought I said "avocado" instead of "cucumber" (??) during my order, and he reached into the dreaded avocado container.  I nearly went hysterical, screaming, "Noooo!  Allergeeeee!"  He quickly removed his hand from the evil bin and grabbed some cucumber with a newly gloved hand (awesome).  Everyone who works there is very nice and professional, yet casual, and the manager (owner?) came by to check on us during our meal.

AMBIANCE:  Now, the reason the counter dude likely misunderstood "cucumber" as "avocado" is because the acoustics in this place just plain stink.  Once my date and I sat down -- at a table far from the entrance -- I could hear the whisperings of a couple who had just entered the establishment.  And then I realized I could hear every conversation at every table around me... except for the conversation my date and I were trying to have.  Okay, yeah, part of that was because my date is reserved and quiet, but still.

FOOD:  I got a roll with tempura shrimp, cream cheese, cucumber, and spicy mayo, and it was GOOOOOOOD!  So so so so SO good!  Oh, AND they have Coke Zero on tap.  SCORE!  I will definitely go back for another roll... to go.  Their tempura roll was easily one of the best, if not THE best, I've had in Austin.  And I'm still so excited that I got to customize the roll!

DECOR:  There's a long curved backing that supports bench seating (one on each side of the restaurant, almost forming an oval), and there are tables and chairs pulled up to the bench seating.  It looks somewhat neat-o at first, but it's really freaking annoying when you want a drink refill.  My date and I sat at the table nearest the drink station, yet I had to trek all the way around the restaurant to get to it.  I thought about hopping over the metal backing, but I didn't think that would impress my date at all.

White institutional walls... blech!

The decor is mostly green, with white tables and green chairs.  If Maki added some pink chairs and made the tabletops black, the seating area would look like a giant watermelon.

CONCLUSION:  I've decided to grade on food predominantly, as the decor and ambiance ratings, if combined evenly with the food rating, would take Maki down the toilet.  The food is goodly.  Try it.  You know you want to.  I want the rest of you to try it because I know you'll like it as much as I did.  This will ensure that Maki stays in business.  So get your asses over there!  NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment