Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mighty Fine Burgers - 10515 N Mo-Pac Expy, Austin, TX 78759

I know I'm gonna get lynched for putting Mighty Fine in the Mighty Average category, but once again I just disagree with most of you.  I don't know how these burgers are supposedly good.  I further know that I'm going to get a lot of incredulous "What?!"s out of most of you readers, but I'm going to put my food-critic reputation on the line by saying that even McDonald's makes a tastier burger than does Mighty Fine.  Who else does?  Fran's, North By Northwest, Burger King (yeah, I said it), Little Red Wagon, and Hut's, to name a few.

I tried out Mighty Fine with my boyfriend-at-the-time when they first opened a few years ago, but neither of us were impressed.  My burger (a "white") was barely passable in taste.  It had too little seasoning, or something.  And my bun was burned.  And the fries we got were the leftover broken burnt pieces you'd find at the very bottom of the fryer basket. Oh, you mean they're supposed to be horribly crinkle cut and overcooked?

Yesterday, I only got a burger and a drink, and, aside from the lack of french fries and a boyfriend, my lunch was a complete rerun of the last time I ate there.  I'm no backyard-barbecue bad-ass, yet I have easily cooked up better-tasting burgers on my backyard grill.  And then I remembered, Mighty Fine cooks their burgers on a griddle.  I think if they flame-broiled their burgers, they would taste a lot better.  Until that happens, you won't find me again at Mighty Fine sneering or making lemon-sucking faces.  And if they do take my advice and start cooking their burgers a different way, I would hope they'd be so good that I wouldn't have to make lemon-sucking faces as I'm eating.

And I don't like the open tomato boxes sitting out in the dining room.  The fact that some schmuck could sneak a tomato into the bathroom, piss on it, and put it back in the box when he's done makes me ill.  I sure am glad I asked for no tomatoes on my burger.

The only two positive things I can say about Mighty Fine are that they have Coke Zero AND Diet Dr Pepper on tap, and you get a reusable plastic cup to take home.

I've heard about the trick one-way mirrors in the men's restroom.  Gotta say, that's probably the best thing Mighty Average has going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment