Thursday, March 17, 2011

Big Top Candy Shop - 1706 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704

Places like Big Top Candy Shop are normally death knells for diabetics like me, but read on...

Quani C., Yolanda G. and I checked this place out after lunch at the Snack Bar.

Big Top is very old-fashioned looking, and they have plenty of old-fashioned candy to go with that look.  I saw Hershey's bars with very old-looking wrappers, and even though I quietly wondered just how long those bars had been sitting on the shelf, I thought it was pretty cool.  The candy cigarettes and wax lips caught my eye, too.

I was hoping to get a look at the sugar-free candy, but ironically enough, I got hit with severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and had to sit down while Quani and Yolanda shopped.  But I'll tell you what:  If I could choose a place to have a low-blood sugar episode, Big Top is where I would choose to do it.  Unfortunately, I really didn't have time to stand in line and buy anything to sate my blood sugar, as I would have fainted in the process, so I downed a sugar packet I found in my purse, and Yolanda gave me one of her wax-bottles-filled-with-some-sort-of-sugary-liquid to help me out.  To illustrate how completely off I was, I chomped into the bottom of that wax bottle and sucked all the juice out, instead of using the easy-open area at the top of the bottle so I could drink it.  Once I finally got back to normal and started looking around again, I didn't see any sugar-free candy, but I trust Tara H. when she says she found some there.

My eyes bugged out when I saw some Ghostbusters themed "Slimer Sours" candy ("Don't stare at me; you've got the bug eyes!").  Big Top also had a collection of absinthe-flavored candy.  I ended up buying the Ghostbusters candy, which is watermelon-flavored, and some absinthe dental floss.  Hey, I needed dental floss anyway, and it was there, so...  I think the candy is a bit expensive, though.  Over three dollars for each thing I bought.  I could see paying $3 for the floss, but not for the tiny container of Slimer Sours.  But that's what I get for being a slave to favorite-movie marketing.  I just hope those Slimer Sours hadn't been sitting in the store since 1984.

I also LOVED seeing the Stuckey's candy.  My family and I drove to Austin from Dallas several times per year to visit my maternal grandmother when I was a kid (she lived in 78704 'til she died in '99), and we would almost always stop at Stuckey's along the way.  I do believe there is still one in Italy/Ennis, for those of you who care.  Seeing those Stuckey's pecan logs was like stepping into a DeLorean and traveling back to the '80s.  Well, the Ghostbusters candy helped in that respect, too.  Everything in there was of the past, so you can't help but feel nostalgic.  And Big Top had gummy almost-everything available in the bulk candy section.  I love gummy candy.

I also saw IV bags filled with "blood".  I don't even wanna know how much sugar is in that "blood"!

I'd like to go in here again sometime this week so I can check out the stuff I didn't get to check out during my medical emergency.  Then again, I honestly wouldn't mind checking this place out again during a hypoglycemic fit; it would give me the perfect opportunity to try out one of their sodas!

No comments:

Post a Comment