Saturday, March 12, 2011

Moonie's Burger House - 13450 Resarch Blvd, Austin, TX 78750

With a name like "Moonie's", I was expecting this place to be more of a '50s diner than a country-bumpkin road house, if it had any shtick at all.  I almost felt like I was in the back woods of Arkansas.  I think "Boonie's" is a better name for this place.  When I walked in and heard annoyingly twangy country music, I nearly walked right out, but I figured since I'd wasted the gas getting over there, I might as well stay and eat.

So I ventured to the counter and ordered a Plain Jane with cheddar, and some onion rings.  Grabbed my number and filled my drink.  I'd heard they had Coke Zero on tap here, but I was disappointed when I spied an "out of order" sign on it.  So I got iced tea, which was made very well.  But how can you really mess up iced tea?

My burger and onion rings were brought out quickly.  It looked good, and I couldn't wait to dig in.  The first several bites were nothing but bun, as my burger had a huge pillow of a bun that tasted like a dinner roll.  It was too much, so I removed the bottom bun.  And once I did so, I realized just how small the burger was that I'd paid about $7 for (my entire bill was over $11 for a burger, rings, and a fountain drink).  I can get a much bigger mediocre burger and rings at the Lakeline Fuddrucker's location for the same price.

The meat itself was overcooked, and I didn't like the spices they used.  I discovered fennel seeds on the burger, which pissed me off.  Some people like licorice, but not me.  The cheese, lettuce and mayo made the burger almost bearable.  Almost.  I got slightly more than halfway through the burger, but it was too mediocre for me to finish.

The rings weren't too bad, so I concentrated on those.

Thankfully, the powers that be randomly shut off the twang-fest country music that was playing, so I didn't feel compelled to leave quite as quickly as I originally had.

I expected a lot more from Boonie's.  My mistake, I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment