Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Crazy Cajun - 8557 Research Blvd, Austin, TX 78758

Since approximately 1997, I have been on an on-again, off-again search for the bestest shrimp po' boy outside of New Orleans where I went to college.  My search began in Dallas, because that's where I lived at the time, and then my search migrated with me here in 2001.  Gene's once had my Bestest Shrimp Po' Boy award, but they're now closed.  And even though I've been to Nubian Queen Lola's twice, I have not yet been able to partake of a shrimp po' boy.

I finally got my scrawny ass over to Crazy Cajun to eat, but I was a bit alarmed when I entered and sat down.  Why was I alarmed?  Because the entire place smelled of vinegar, or perhaps some sort of weird cleaner.  'Twas really off-putting.

But I stayed and ordered an iced tea and a shrimp po' boy.  The iced tea almost tasted like cigarettes, which I never imagined was possible.  I looked in my glass for ashes, but I didn't find any.  Whatever tea they use, I sure hope I never accidentally buy it at the grocery store. 

The shrimp po' boy was okay, but I've had better.  The shrimp should have been much fresher, and the breading could have been better, but I wasn't completely disappointed with it.  The fries it came with were actually quite good, and this is coming from an almost completely non-french fry fan.

Service was excellent, which is, I'm sorry to say, the best thing Crazy Cajun has going for it.

While I was eating my grub and staring out the window, I saw a pick-up truck driving by with a tank in its bed that said "LIVE FISH".  I desperately tried to wave the guy over, but he didn't see me.  Not that he would have had any shrimp in his tank, but I assume the other seafood at Crazy Cajun is equally as unfresh as the shrimp, so I figured they could use the help.

Oh well, no shrimp po' boy is perfect.  Not outside of N'awlins, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment