Thursday, March 17, 2011

Continental Club - 1315 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704

I'm no stranger to Continental Club.  The first time I went there was on a first date.  I didn't go out with the guy again, but at least he introduced me to a cool hangout with great live music.

Fast-forward to Wednesday 5pm.  I had a couple of hours to kill before trivia started at BD Riley's, so I walked over to Continental Club to get my groove on.  The band was setting up when I got there, but they didn't start until after I left.  No matter.  The powers that be were playing a Kinks CD, and then a Led Zeppelin CD, both of which I enjoyed.

I got great service, as usual, and had a couple of Lone Stars.  I was incredibly bored, so I went into the back room to shoot some pool.  This is where I have to take away that fifth star.  The tips of every single cue stick were in disrepair.  But it really didn't matter, as I got no cue ball nor 10 ball when I put my 75-cents in the pool table.  I went ahead and shot all the existing balls, but it was incredibly easy to make each shot without a cue ball.  I was looking for something more challenging.

So I sat at the Atari game table and played Ms. Pacman, but the joystick was very hard to control.  I couldn't just stop Ms. Pacman and start going a different direction; she kept rolling along despite my best efforts to stop her.  So I gave up and played Space Invaders until a random guy came into the room, sat down several feet away from me and just stared at me.  Could you make me feel anymore uncomfortable??

I hurried through my first beer, and went back to the bar to get another.  A guy was sitting at the bar with his girlfriend, a Chihuahua.  Ms. Chihuahua was actually seated in one of the chairs.  Cute, but I was actually hoping to sit there and hoping your dog could sit on the floor, but whatever.  I grabbed a little table in view of the band setting up.  That strange guy in the back apparently is with the band, or something, as he was helping unload equipment and instruments.  Glad you found something better to do than stare at me.

I finished my second beer and went on my merry way.  On my way out the door, I caught the distinct smell of armpit odor.  Turned out to be Zen next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment