Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Maudie's - 10205 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78753

I'm really stuck on the fence about this one.  My entree stunk, but my app, and the chips and salsa, were good.  What's a girl to do?

I already knew I liked Maudie's chips and salsa; they're a sinus patient's dream.  I'd eaten them with a Corona or two at the Lake Austin location a couple of months ago.  I finally decided to try Maudie's for lunch.  Well, hmmm...

I'll start with the entree.  I got cheese enchiladas, which I think most of you know tends to be my go-to Messycan dish.  I like to draw comparisons among Messycan restaurants based on that dish, so there you go.  The enchiladas were average at the absolute best.  I can't completely put my finger on what I didn't like about them.  I think it was mainly the sauce.  It tasted like it flunked out of Chef Boyardee Culinary Academy.  The rice and beans were quite good, though, but I was pretty full by the time I got around to them.

Okay, the app... I got the Diablo Sol Food ("A savory blend of melted cheese seasoned with the tasty flavors of fresh garlic, onions and peppers, combined with our tender taco beef and pico de gallo.").  It was a flavor explosion in my mouth! Just enough cilantro without being too much, which is hard to do. There was a huge smack of flavor in every single bite, and the garlic gave it just the right kick.  I walked out of Maudie's black and blue from all that flavor excitement.  I don't normally like tomatoes or peppers, but I found myself eating them happily in this case.  The flavors created a medley better put together than anything Lennon and McCartney ever did in the music world, and that's really saying something because I'm the world's biggest Beatles fan. I desperately wanted to stand up and scream, "I am the walrus!"  But I didn't.

Service was fantastic.  I got everything I wanted and needed at the drop of a hat, and this is one of the few restaurants where I got the check in due time.  I'll definitely go back for more Devil's food.

No comments:

Post a Comment