Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hideout Pub - 12164 N Mo PAC Expy, Austin, TX 78758

It hadn't occurred to me until my friend, Colin, pointed it out, but this place is named Hideout Pub for a reason:  It's hidden! 

Beware of the parking lot, folks.  It can be tricky to get in and out of, depending on where exactly you're parked.  And, there ain't much parking to be had. 

Hideout has great bar munchies, which involve the typical pub grub.  I unfortunately found out from bartender Ryan that they no longer serve fried shrimp.  The last time I went to Hideout and got the fried shrimp (2007), I was in Heaven.  But, Ryan said, they'll more than likely have some sort of fish on the menu when it warms up a bit.  That has so far turned out to be a lie, save for the shrimp po' boy special they recently had.  The ham and cheese sammich is delectable, as are the waffle fries and mozzarella sticks, but the burgers are their siren's song.  Trust me.  Get one.  Flame-broiled goodness, and the bartenders not only bring your food out to you, they always get the toppings correct, per your specifications.

Another great thing about Hideout is the jukebox.  Almost any classic rock, heavy metal, or '80s rock song you want, they have.  They stick other -- worthless -- shit in there, too, but that's okay.

Also, not every television is tuned to ESPN, which is a blessing.  Two of the three TVs at the bar play DVD movies.  I've seen everything from Ghostbusters to Killer Clowns From Outer Space there.

And the best part about Hideout?  The prices.  Three shots of bourbon will only cost you $7.50.  When you spend most Saturday nights at the Opal Divine's up the road to play trivia like my friends and I do, and each shot is at least $5, you graciously welcome Hideout's economic-downturn friendly pricing.  Also, being able to get a Lone Star pint for a mere bag of shells (otherwise known as $2 here on land) is just plain awesome.  Wednesday nights and during happy hour (3-7pm), Lone Star pints only cost $1.50.  Total win.

This is my favorite bar, and I'm here nearly every night to wind down from my day and chit-chat with the other Norm Petersons.  All the bartenders know my name and what I drink, to the point I don't even have to ask for it.  So if you see me in here, don't be afraid to say hi and tell me how much you love my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment